Hatim Ism (may Allah be pleased with him)
Posted June 5, 2014on:
Hatim Ism (may Allah be pleased with him) himself is a famous religious scholar, was a favorite student of Hazrat Shafeeq Khilji (may Allah be pleased with him)
Once Hazrat Shafeeq asked Hatim, that how long he has stayed with him? The answer was 33 years.
“What did you learn from me in those years Hatim?”
“I learnt eight lessons.”
”Just eight Hatim, You have wasted my time and yours too”
Hatim humbly replied,” how can I lie to you, when I learnt only eight problems?”
“Alright, now explain those to me” said Shafeeq Khilji
1. “I observed that every person loves his wife, children, valuables, family, relations etc, but when he dies no one accompanies him. Hence I decided to love and act upon good deeds so when I die they accompany me.”
“I am pleased with you. Carry on.”
- Hatim continued, “ I read in Quran that,” Surah An-Nazi’at (Those Who Yearn)
But as for he who feared the position of his Lord and prevented the soul from [unlawful] inclination. Then indeed, Paradise will be [his] refuge.
Hence I surrendered myself to obey orders set by Almighty to cherish in hereafter.
- I observed that every one loves and takes care of anything he possesses, may it be life property or valuables.
But I learnt that everything that exists is mortal and has to diminish or die one day except that Almighty has. In Surah Nahal it is said,
“Whatever is with you, will be exhausted, and whatever with Allah (of good deeds) will remain. And those who are patient, We (Allah) will certainly pay them a reward in proportion to the best of what they used to do.”
Since then I donated in charity what ever precious thing I had or anything that attracted me most, to get reward in hereafter and to please almighty.
- I observed that people try to feel pride in status wealth or position to impress others who are in weaker position.
But in Surah Al-Hujuraat I read that;
“Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.”
Thus I became more God fearing humble and humane.
- What I studied there was that people tried to ridicule others, do bad-mouthing, and look down upon others just out of jealousy. They are impatient and impertinent. But Quran teaches in Surah Az-Zukhruf (The Gold Adornments) is it they who would portion out the Mercy of your Lord? It is We Who portion out between them their livelihood in this world, and We raised some of them above others in ranks, so that some may employ others in their work. But the Mercy (Paradise) of your Lord (O Muhammad S.A.W.W) is better than the (wealth of this world) which they amass.”
Since then I have left to envy others or desire for anything. I strongly believe that almighty is most kind and would give my share. It matters not who has more or less.
- I learnt that almost every person has negative approach towards others. Surly and jealous of each other. When I thought seriously and studied Quran I learnt that Allah says in Quran in Surah FATIR; “Surely, Shaitan (Satan) is an enemy to you, so take (treat) him as an enemy. He only invites his Hizb (followers) that they may become the dwellers of the blazing Fire.”
Since then I consider Satan my most evil enemy. I do what Allah has guided us to do through Quran
7. I saw public running in search of bread and butter. They use fair and unfair means to get it. They surpass, deceive, mislead, and depriving others to get maximum for themselves. This unfairness made me get guidance from Quran. It is clearly written in Quran in Surah HUD; “ And no (moving) living creature is there on earth but its provision is due from Allah. And He knows its dwelling place and its deposit (in the uterus, grave, etc.). All is in a Clear Book (Al-Lauh
Al-Mahfuz – the Book of Decrees with Allah)
8.I observed that people rely and depend on worldly things like wealth, healthy stout body, status, family or valuables though they all are mortal and will sooner or later get washed out , so I took guidance from Quran where is it clearly written in Surah Talaaq;
“And He will provide him from (sources) he never could imagine. And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him. Verily, Allah will accomplish his purpose. Indeed Allah has set a measure for all things.” Thus I blindly trust almighty Allah that I will be provided what ever I need.
Hazrat Shafeeq (may Allah be pleased with him) was very satisfied to hear all this and acknowledged that all these are the teachings mentioned in all four holy books. These are for one and all till the day of judgment.