What Do Red Onions Do for Your Body?
Posted February 26, 2013on:
Onions are eye watering but good for your body.
Onions are one of the most common ingredients of recipes in many different countries and cultures throughout the world. They come in many different forms; fresh, frozen, canned, caramelized, pickled, powdered, chopped and dehydrated and can be used in almost every type of food. It has been claimed throughout history that onions can help everything from the common cold to heart disease, diabetes and other diseases and in developing countries they are even placed on the skin to eradicate boils and blisters. Most of us eat something which includes onions every day, but few of us know exactly what health benefits they have.
No kitchen is complete without a red onion. They may make you cry, but they’re on your side when it comes to taste and health. Red onions can be used in so many recipes that you’ll probably find yourself buying them regularly. Onions are full of nutrients that will give a boost to your health
Red onion is one of the famous herbs. Apparently, in addition to spices, onion also has the function of traditional cures
Nutritional Value in Onions
Onions are naturally low in calories at only 45 calories per portion. They contain no fat or cholesterol and are very low in sodium. Onions are a good source of fiber, which helps keep the digestive system healthy and efficient. Onions also contain vitamin B6, folate, potassium, manganese and are a very good source of vitamin C.
Health Benefits of Onions
Onions were used originally by American settlers to treat colds, coughs and to repel insects and in Chinese medicine they have been used to treat angina, coughs, bacterial infections and breathing problems. The health benefits of onions go beyond old wives tales. It is scientifically proven that onion extract can help asthma sufferers and an onion even contains oligomers which can reduce the risk of colon cancer.
Onions and the Cardiovascular System
Onions share some of the health benefits of garlic, which many of us know are good for thinning the blood. Both foods contain sulphides which can help to lower blood lipids and blood pressure. Onions help to prevent blood clotting as they contain flavonoids and other substances which when consumed can dramatically reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. The chromium and vitamin B6 found in onions helps to increase cardiovascular health. Specifically, these compounds lower blood pressure and cholesterol.
The more red onion you eat, the lower your blood-sugar glucose levels will be. This is because of ally propyl disulfide and chromium, both of which are found in red onions. Manage your diabetes with free tools from DiabetesCare.net. Red onions control blood sugar
If you are looking to lower your chances of colon cancer and related diseases, add red onions to your diet at least twice a week. Quercitin, one of the flavinoids found in onions, is known to be very beneficial to gastrointestinal health.
A study in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry found that red onions are also beneficial to overall bone health. A compound known as GPCS is responsible for this, and it does so by inhibiting cells that break down bones.
Red onions reduce inflammation in the bones and throat, as well as in blood vessels. This reduces many of the symptoms of osteoporosis, asthma and even the common cold.
Other Benefits of Onions
Onions are good for almost every part of the body. They provide support for bone and connective tissue and offer anti-inflammatory benefits. In addition, onions help protect against cancers such as ovarian and mouth.
Volatile oil contained in the water of red onion is useful to kill most microbes, staphylococci, streptococci as well as microbes that can cause disease and inflammation of the thoracic esophagus.
- It can also kill microbes diphtheria, amoebic dysentery and tuberculosis microbe. Red onion is really capable of eliminating these bacteria in a short time.
- The Steam of red onions can be used to clean wounds and to heal.
- Can activate the movement of the stomach.
- Chewing red onions for a few minutes to clean the mouth of microbes including diphtheria microbe.
- Inhaling the smell of red onions or eating it can cause a volatile oil containing sulfate and can get into human blood, which later can kill microbes that can cause disease.
- Shallots also have elements similar to the hormone insulin that can help reduce blood sugar levels.
- Eating red onions which is still raw or cooked mixed with the cheese can minimize the occurrence of blood clots.
- To cure whooping cough and pneumonia by using a red onion as a compress on the chest. If placed on the kidneys and bladder, can heal difficult urination. If placed on both feet, then it can cure the disorder in the function of blood settings. And if placed on the wound, it will issue a dirty pus and blood. How to make a compress of garlic is to chop onion into small pieces and then heated. After that, placed in the area who wants to be treated, and then tied with a cloth. Replace the bandage every 12 hours.
- The pieces of red onion can be used also to treat eye lets on foot, by way of affixing the pieces of the onion around eyelets in the afternoon until early morning. Repeat this until the release fish eye from the foot, then wash with warm water and soap.
- Red Onion water can be used to bandage on the cut part of the body to relieve pain.
- Red onion if boiled with olive oil can be used to treat cracked nipples and hemorrhoids.
- Steeping the red onions can be used to eliminate worms in children, by way of brewing the pieces of onion and put it in water and stored throughout the night, then during the day time drunk to the child after being mixed with honey. Repeat this process every morning until the worm is really out in full.
- Red union can also remove worms in the stomach and cure hemorrhoids. How to make it as a purgative of a red onion that has been heated around for about 3 minutes in 1 liter of water. In this case, use red onion whose medium or small size that can be inserted into the anus.
- Inhaling aroma of red onion to treat dizziness and fainting. Because it smells so piercing that can stimulate the circulatory and respiratory functions. Similarly, nerve functions. Thus, red onions can be used as first aid rather than having to use ammonia.